Happy Saint David’s Day People! For the unaware, St. David’s Day is the Patron Saint of Wales, and – being a red blooded Welshman, I, like a lot of my countrymen, are celebrating. Of course, I’m not drinking (I still have to go into work), but I thought about what I can do to help you appreciate my culture. So I’m going to teach you a little Welsh! Baiscally, a few Welsh facts, as well as Welsh words and facts. No doubt some smart alec Welsh grammar nazi will correct me if I’m incorrect in the comments. But, as a semi-fluent Welshie, this is what I’ll say, and I’ve never had any problems. I’ve tried to pick ones that I don’t have to explain the Ll’s and the Ch’s that are abundant in Wales, so they should be easy to pronounce. Try them on your co-workers!
Five Important Welsh Sentances They Don’t Teach You In School
- Un beint o’r cwrw (ian baint or coo-roo) – One pint of beer
- Mae Cynghair Pel Droed Cymru ydy swbriel (My Cunghigher Pail Droid Cum-Ree uh-dee soob-re-ell) – The League of Wales is Rubbish
- Gae’r hi bronnau fel brynnau (Gair he bron-nai vel brin-nai) – She’s got boobs like mountains.
- Dwi eisiau mynd i’r tafarn i gael wyneb cachu (Dwee ay-shy mind ear tavarn e guy-l we-neb cack-ee) – I want to go to the pub to get shit-faced
- Wyt Ti Siarad Saesneg? (Oit Tea Sharad Sai-sneg?) – Do you speak English?
Five Welsh Words You Don’t Need Translating
- Sgam – Scam
- Plastig – Plastic
- E-Bost – E-Mail
- Tacsi – Taxi
- Slic – Slick
Five Great Welsh Sentances
- Dwi hoffi Sboncen (Dweee hoff-ee S-bonking) – I like Squash
- Dwi ddim eisiau mynd i’r Penmaenmawr achos dwi wedi gael Penmaenmawr (Dweee thim ay-shy mind ear Pen-mine-maur ac-hos dwee wed-ee guileÂ Pen-mine-maur) – I don’t want to go to Penmaenmawr because I’m hungover.
- Dwi hoffi froffi coffi (Dwee hoff-ee Frothy Coffee) – I like frothy coffee
- Bwrw Cwrw (Boo-Roo Coo-Roo) – It’s Raining Beer
- Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (Llan-vire-pooll-guin-gill-go-ger-u-queern-drob-ooll-llandus-ilio-gogo-goch) – St Mary’s church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave
Five Welsh Swear Words
- Cachau bant (Cack-eye bant) – Fuck off
- Ffwcin Slebog (Fook-kin Sleb-bog) – Fucking Slut
- O Pidyn (Or Pid-din) – O cock
- Twllt Din (tookt Dear-n) – Arsehole
- Cau Dy wyneb a Ffwcio dy ewyrth (Kai duh win-neb a fook-e-o duh oirth) – Shut you fucking face, uncle fucker
Five Welsh Sentances for Han
- Cara cathau bach a chwningod (Cah-rah cath-eye bar-ch ar kwin-god) – I like kittens and bunnies
- Dwi meddwl James May ydy neis iawn (Dwee Merth-ool James May uh-dee nays yiawn) – I think James May is well fit.
- Fi angen at Briodi a klingon (Vee an-gen at Bree-oh-dee a Klingon) – I want to Marry a Klingon
- Do Rhys , Ca hystlen chennych , amdanat re rhywiau iawn (Dor Rhys, car hist len cen-ic, amd-an-at ree rhiw-ee-eye yiawn) – I’m not translating this one, I’ll get in trouble!
- Scwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii – Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!*
- Apparently (I can’t confirm this) but they opened a Subway in Iraq, before they opened one in Wales.
- Colwyn Bay F.C. (1881) was formed before the likes of Tottenham Hotspur (1882), Arsenal (1886), Manchester City (1887), Liverpool, Newcastle (both 1892), Bacelona (1899) and Chelsea (1905).
- Owain Glyndwr, the Welsh Prince who led a revolt against English rule of Wales, was put to defeated by Henry V, the King of England. Owain Glyndwr was born in Hawarden, at the time disputingly English. Henry V was born in Monmouth, which was at the time disputingly Welsh.
- Parts of the North West of Wales have never been conquered, so there are people from the Anglesey/Gwynedd area who can say they are truely British, much to the ire of most of England.
- St David reportedly died on March 1st, hence why this day is St. David’s Day.
Dydd Dewi Sant Hapus i Bawb!