Recently, a little bit of a hoo haa occurred when Infektia and John Cow removed their entrecards. Whilst it’s there blog and I fully respect their decision (unlike some other JC readers – “Why have you removed it? It’s sooooo unfair!” etc. At which point the earth left it’s orbit by the combined force of a million toys hitting it after being thrown from babies prams), I believe it has been useful for me, and could be useful still for them, if they take the following steps.
1. Participate and Comment On The Dropping Blog
Erica and Beth do it, as do countless more (they’re the only two that I can remember) – Beth even bought some advertising from me (horray!). Now, because of it, I’m now subscribed to both of those feeds, and try to comment when I have a chance. If you do join entrecard and are already a member, I encourage you to actually comment on the blogs. You’re more likely to get a response than dropping it like a bad habit here and there.
Of course, if you are to comment, don’t be an arse like Sam Freedom in this post on Beth’s meme.
2. Don’t Go For The Big Blogs
I bought advertising on Nate Whitehill Dot Com, and unfortunately it didn’t bring me one hit. This is a guy who has over 1000 subscribers. John Cow’s blog bought me a fair amount, but the best are littler blogs. They generally have the logo higher up the page, and are more appreciative and receptive to comments. Target them.
3. Learn From Your Mistakes
I know which blogs do and do not bring me traffic. I did keep a list but now they’ve added a “Favourites” Link. What this does is save a list of blogs you like, your friends or just people you want to link to. Click here to favourite me.
Finally, to finish off, I’m going to do a meme that Beth did a while back.
The Great (Modified) Entrecard Meme
1. Read these instructions twice;
2. Drop your EntreCard at this site.
3. Drop your EntreCard at the 5 EntreCard users’ sites listed below.
4. Choose 5 other EntreCard users.
5. Copy these instructions to your own Entrecard meme article and tag (link) those 5 people.
6. Include a link to the Entrecard meme article of the person who tagged you.
7. Notify the people you choose that they’ve been tagged.
8. Comment below so even passers-by can drop their card at your site, too (it shows you are active and will likely return the favor).
9. (optional) IF you tag your blogs, use both “entrecard” and “entrecard meme” as tags so that others can find them AND so that we can find them all later as this grows. (If you don’t know what tagging is, don’t worry).
10. My addition to the meme: I encourage you to also comment on the blogs you drop EntreCards on and write recommendations- not only for my blog but others as well. This shows that you DO take the time to visit and read a little instead of becoming a chain dropper.
My Five Blogs
A Frog To Kiss – I will stop linking her to avoid wonderfully mature “euuurrrggghhh! You fancy a 34 year old!” comments from certain people. So that’s the last one. Single, and scarily observational that I’ve come to the conclusion that she actually has 10 eyes.
Mrs Sparrow – Infrequently updated, but very good. Mrs Sparrow first attracted me to her blog with her buxom wench of an entrecard.
FiddyP – Yeah he sponsors this blog, but how he finds time to blog is incredible. His blog is a mixture of personal stuff, tutorials, and ways to make money online. Unlike most “Make Money Online” Bloggers. He can actually do it, and not 12.
Alive – Sandra comments a bit on my blog, so she’ll get the last position. Very pretty personal blog and a big Within Temptation fan. What more could you like about that?